Weeks ago, I decided to try online gambling for the first time. A friend had suggested that I try www.casinosonline-canada.ca. While I was on the site I decided to try my luck at poker but then it suddenly hit me–I had no idea how to play poker. So i did some research and before long I was playing like a pro. Just in case you need some help learning how to play too, I wrote this article to teach you how.
In playing Poker, the aim of the game is to construct a hand of five cards, according to predetermined rules and regarding the variant of Poker that is being played. The various types of Poker hands are compared using a ranking system, and the player with the highest ranking hand is ultimately the winner.
- Cards are ranked with the Ace the highest card, followed by the King, Queen, Jack, Ten, Nine, Eight and so on down to the Two, also known as a Deuce.
- The game is played in a clockwise direction.
- The first verbal declaration or action a player makes is binding.
- Cards are dealt clockwise.
- Passing the buck refers to the rotating right to deal a hand.
- Passing the buck only happens in casual settings. In an actual casino there is a designated dealer.
- A blind is a bet placed by one or more players before cards are dealt.
- The small blind usually half the opening bet and is paid by the player to the left of the dealer and ensures action in each hand.
- The big blind is paid by the person two places to the left of the dealer and is usually twice the amount of the small blind.
- An ante is an amount paid into a pot by players before the hand is dealt.
- An ante encourages players to continue even when tempted to fold.
- Antes are not usually used in games where a blind is used.
- A round is completed once everyone has either bet an equal amount to the current wager, raised the wager or folded.
There are many variations of Poker from all over the world, but we’ll just be doing a quick run-down of the two most popular Poker games out there today.
- 5 Card Draw
5 Card Draw is one of the most widely played forms of Poker and is usually the game that players first learn when starting out at Poker. Learning 5 Card Draw first is a good thing because of its simplicity and once mastered, the skills you take from it will aid all your future Poker playing. 5 Card Draw is the perfect mixture of accessibility and player skill.
- Five cards are dealt, face down, to each player. The first player acts after the big blind and this should rotate after each round accordingly. After each round of betting, each player can discard any cards they no longer want in their hand, to have them replaced by the dealer. The final betting round includes the reveal of the remaining players’ cards with the player who has the best five card hand winning.
- Texas Hold’em
Texas Hold’em is the simplest, most played and more fast-paced variation of Poker and is considered to be one of the best forms of Poker to play. This game has the right balance of simplicity and amount of skill required to make it accessible to beginners but also action-packed enough to enthral Poker champions around the world.
- All players are dealt two cards face down which is followed by a round of bets from each player.
Then three community cards are dealt facing up in the middle of the table. This is called the ‘Flop’.
This is followed by another betting interval and then a fourth community card being dealt on the table, which is called the ‘Turn’.
There’s another round of bets, followed by the final community card being dealt, which is known as the ‘River’.
One final betting round takes place, and then it is time to reveal hands.
Players aim to use both the community cards and the cards in their hand to make the best five card Poker hand.
The best five card hand revealed will win.
Players can choose to stop betting, or ‘Fold’ during any of the betting rounds if they suspect their hand is not a winning one.